1. It’s turned into a witch-hunt into his personal finances
No, it hasn’t. An allegation was made that he had taken money. They investigated his accounts and found hundreds of thousands of pounds in them. They asked him to explain the source of the money. He can’t.
2. A different standard applied at the time – all this ethics business is quite new
Since when was it not required to pay tax on your personal income?
3. We should wait until the Tribunal reports
Why? John Bruton ordered Michael Lowry to resign within 24hours of learning of his payments from Ben Dunne on which he had paid no tax (for work actually carried out! unlike Bertie). Some people don’t need a tribunal to tell them how to act.
4. The people knew all this anyway before the election
No they didn’t. Substantially new information has come out in even just the past month.
5. It doesn’t matter cos he did a deal on the North
Who said that being tax compliant and delivering on political issues were mutually exclusive?
6. Lots of people have tax issues
And we can see why. Why should they pay taxes if successive FIANNA FAIL TAOISIGH don’t bother.
7. Other politicians in other political parties took money
And they were wrong too.
8. It’s important to be loyal to the leader
And debase everyone associated with politics in the meantime. And themselves.
9. Fine Gael and Labour lost the election so tough luck.
I don’t care. The Taoiseach took money for Fianna Fail and kept it for himself. Took money for himself and didn’t pay his taxes. He told huge lies to the people in the Brian Dobson interview. Even if the people re-elected him tomorrow it would still be wrong.